Quick tips and ideas to help you keep your clothes closet organized.
I have talked a lot about decluttering and organizing your spaces throughout the years, especially closets. It can actually be easier to organize a space than to keep it organized. Once a space is organized many people make the assumption that it’s going to stay that way without any effort. Of course organizing is a continuing process but I have some great tips to share with you to help you keep your closet space organized quickly and efficiently.
- Have a designated space for every item – While initially organizing your closet you will need to find a designated space for everything. In the beginning process move things around until you find the most efficient place for each item.
- Return things promptly – It might seem faster to just toss things in the closet then put them away later, but it actually takes more time to put everything away later. Here’s a rule: If something takes less than 2 minutes to do, do it now.
- Don’t place things in your closet that don’t belong there – Don’t let your closet become a catch all. The same rules apply to other areas of your house that apply to your closet. Designate spaces for every item in your home.
- Hang regularly used items from hooks – Hangers aren’t always the best option for all pieces of clothing and accessories. Hang items that are used often like pajamas, workout wear, scarves, and jackets from hooks on the back of the door or the inside wall.
- Before returning things to your closet ask yourself if you really want to keep it – One of the best times to declutter is as you’re doing laundry, after you’ve worn something, or if you keep overlooking articles of clothing and not wearing them. Be observant about what you’re wearing or not wearing to keep your closet clutter free and organized.
- Don’t store items behind other items – Anytime something is stored behind something else there’s the chance of forgetting it’s there and not being able to find it when it’s needed.
- Do a quick straighten up once a week so nothing gets out of control – Quickly look around your closet once a week and put things away. It will only take a few minutes and keep things neat and in order.
- Use labels for keeping track of what belongs where – If you share your closet with someone else labeling shelves might be the best way to keep things organized.
I hope these tips are helpful and save you time and energy while keeping your spaces organized.
Pin it for later: